In this post, we will go over how Docker manages data on your host and how you can leverage it in your day-to-day work.
After reading this post you should understand:
Continue reading “Docker: volumes – how and when to use”
- Distinguish between two types of data: Volatile and Persistent
- When should you choose one over the other
- Real world examples on when to choose which
Docker has been with us many years now and quickly became a dominant technology.
In this post, we will explain the benefits of using Docker and how it can speed up your development.
This post will be divided into three main topics:
- What is Docker? – a quick introduction to Docker and the problem it solved.
- Why should we use Docker? – concrete reasons why you would benefit from using Docker in your day-to-day work.
- Usage example:
- Setting up a Postgres database in seconds
- Setting up (and accessing) a CentOS machine in seconds
Continue reading “Docker: how to speed up your development”
What is Pipenv?
A package management tool which makes combined use of
- pip – Python package manager
- virtualenv – Tool for creating isolated Python environments so you can easily use different packages in different projects
- Pipefile – records the package versions used in a given project so you can easily install them on any other system you want. Also considered as the replacement of Python requirements files
So basically with one short pipenv command you can install a package in a virtual environment and record it in pipfile and pipefile.lock files.
Continue reading “Python: Pipenv Tutorial”
What is Tobiko?
Tobiko is an OpenStack upgrade testing framework. It aims to provide tooling and methods for easily developing upgrade type tests.
Note: At this moment it also provides you with several built-in networking tests.
If you are familiar with OpenStack you might wonder why the current OpenStack testing framework (Tempest) is not used for that purpose.
Continue reading “OpenStack: Testing Upgrades with Tobiko”
I’ve had many talks over the years with friends / team members about their career path and what they should focus on in order to achieve their next career milestone.
In this post, I will focus specifically on the “Team lead” position and what are the common expectations of a Team Lead.
My hope is that it will give you, the reader, the information you were looking for and help you decide if this is indeed the right career path for you.
Lets begin with what a Team Lead is doing as part of his day-to-day work.
Continue reading “Team lead – is it really what you are looking for?”
In this tutorial, we’ll focus on how to interact with OpenStack Heat using Python. Before deep diving into Heat Python examples, I suggest being familiar with Heat itself and more specifically:
- Basic operations: create/delete/update stack
Still here? let’s go 🙂
Continue reading “OpenStack: Heat Python Tutorial”
What is ‘Neutron’?
Neutron is the networking component of OpenStack. It’s the component responsible for managing your cloud networking resources and provide network devices connectivity.
It manages resources such as networks, routers, subnets, and ports and allows users to develop and implement plugins to makes use of various networking devices and technologies.
Continue reading “OpenStack Neutron 101”